Our Monthly Revision Clinic takes place on the last Friday of each month.
This Revise and Inspire Clinic is not at all as clinical as it sounds. More a sanctuary for those who wish to find a softer, gentler way to revise their works and make them ready for the world to hear. All done within a community of cheerleaders. Each voice applauded and praised when yet another one of our works is set free into the literary landscape, ready to find the exact reader for whom our story was born.
We revise till a work is good enough (be gone perfectionism) and inspire one another to be willing to share our offering. To make of each story our pledge to be of service.
The aim of our Revise and Inspire Clinic is twofold:
- Bring a work as far as you can in your own revision process
- Learn, with my guided group feedback questions, to build an easier, gentler model of revision and submission into your home practice.
Workshops run from 10:00 am -1:30 pm with a scheduled 15-minute lunch break so we can chat and catch up with our classmates. I call this the natter-and-nurture portion of our mornings. Being Irish, that cuppa and conversation is a must!
How it Works
- Bring along a revised and completed piece of your work, no more than 1,000 words in length.
- Personal essays and creative nonfiction are our main focus.
- Format your work as follows: Times New Roman, 12 point font, double spaced, one-inch margins.
- Read your piece aloud. This simple process crystalizes within the writer, much as with oral storytelling, what a story has truly come to say.
- Prepare 1-2 central questions you have about your piece.
- Receive feedback.
- Listen and take notes.
I guide the revision-feedback through:
- The Amherst Writers and Artists Method for positive comments
- My own Q&A sequence to model narrative arc and artful feedback.
This Write the Soul Awake feedback model steers away from critique and overwhelm. Instead, my focus is to inspire each writer to return to their stories with affection and interest in their wish to become. To engage with their material from a place of excitement and curiosity, ready to shape and release their work into the world. One story at a time is our motto.
Class Size: Limited to 6 writers.
Prerequisite: Writers must be in attendance, or have attended in the past, a weekly course.
Upcoming Dates: TBD
Payment: PayPal email@example.com